The New Kitchenhoarder!

Hello everyone! Kitchenhoarder has a shiny new home at kitchen hoarder.com

Tomato and Feta Salad with Sumac


Ugh, I am so sick of this winter. It's March now, so technically it's spring, but it doesn't exactly feel like it quite yet. I just feel so shortchanged by this winter! I mean, the one time in university I stay in the UK for Christmas, NO SNOW. The past three years, sure, enough snow to stop traffic. This year, a few measly snow drizzles - which feel more like rain, by the way - and that's it. It also wasn't even that cold. It's just been that annoying temperature where you have to wear a coat, but you get hot when you start walking.


.... Sorry about the whining. On top of the not-wonderful winter, I think I'm a little more sensitive to seasonal changes this year. I mean, I know I didn't enjoy the winter, but its end also means I'm that much closer to graduating. I'm looking forward to the summer and all that, but its arrival signifies the arrival of my 'adult' life. I am scared.


I'm trying really hard to look forward to it, but I'm a meticulous planner and I don't really have a plan for the near future yet. You have no idea how difficult it is for me to move forward with anything without clear planning. This year has meant me learning to let go a little, which is hard. Seriously.


That's not to say I don't have ideas or ambitions. I know what I want, the getting-it part is just a little iffy right now. Well, fingers crossed, right? Anyway, in the spirit of looking forward to the summer, here's a little summery salad with tomato and feta. I know, I know, there's nothing special about that. But, the trick is in what's on the salad - this nifty spice called Sumac. The ground dried fruit of plants of the Rhus genus, it's used a lot in Arab cuisines. I'm guessing it's valued for it's amazing citrus-y, slightly peppery taste. After all, it's used to make what's called 'Indian lemonade' in America. (BOOM I just hit you with a load of Wikipedia knowledge)


Anyway, it goes really well with this slightly Middle Eastern, slightly Mediterranean tomato salad, along with basil and lemon juice. It picks up the flavour of the feta, so it doesn't taste quite so milky. And the whole salad makes a great topping for some bread - A sort of bruschetta.

Tomato and Feta Salad with Sumac


300g cherry tomatoes (or thereabouts), sliced in half
200g feta cheese, cubed
A bunch of basil, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon ground Sumac
Juice of half a lemon
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Lay the tomatoes and feta onto a plate.
(The reason I don't dress them by mixing altogether is because the feta cheese sort of leaks onto everything else, turning it a cloudy white. If you're not bothered with the vanity of the dish, then by all means throw everything in a bowl and mix.)

Drizzle with the lemon juice, and scatter the basil leaves over. Next, sprinkle the Sumac all over. Finally, drizzle with the olive oil. Serve with toasted bread, or on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment